Seed Questions are "example questions" that establish the standard of what a great question looks like in the class' community, and ensures that students never join a totally empty community. Sometimes it can be intimidating as a student to post to an empty community for the first time. Seed Questions are useful in facilitating discussions to help your community have a smooth and effective head start!
Where Do They Come From?
Seed Questions are actually top questions submitted by real students on the Packback platform, organized by subject matter and course.
Unfortunately, instructors are not able to create a their own Seed Questions for their community. We do this so that your students can see the quality of questions that can occur from people just like them who may not be experts in the field of study.
Who Picks Seed Questions?
Seed Questions are selected by either the Professor, TA, or Admins in a community. They can be deleted like normal questions at any time!
Even though Seed Questions have been helpful for students and professors, it's 100% your decision to include them. If you have any questions or would like more insight as to how to best utilize Seed Questions, feel free to reach out to your Experience Manager!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Selecting Seed Questions
- Access your Packback community and scroll to your Professors Tools box
- Click on View Gradebook, where at the top of the page you'll see a tab that says Manage Seed Questions. Click on that!
- You'll be taken to a page that shows your current Seed Questions that you've added to your community already. To add more click Select Seed Questions.
- In the Step 1 Box, select Edit Search Tags and enter in a subject that pertains closely to your community's.
- Click Save and Update Search
- Packback will generate a list of our top questions from real students that fall under the tag you entered.
- You have the option to Filter by Community and the Status of the post.
- Scroll through the options available to you and click in the box next to Select this Question to Seed when you've found one you like!
- You have the option to select multiple posts at a time. The banners will change to Selected!
- When you feel good about the choices you've made, click Ready to Review in Step 3 box.
- Review the posts you've selected and complete the step by clicking Confirm Seed Questions!