Packback is compatible for integration with most Learning Management System (LMS) platforms, including Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle. This article lays out how to go about setting up your Learning Management System with Packback and our Gradebook Sync feature.
This article will cover the entire setup flow across the following steps:
- Adding the Packback Tool/Link To Your Learning Management System
- Connecting Your Learning Management System Course to Packback
- Turning on Gradebook Sync
- Setting Up Gradebook Sync for Moodle 1.1
Follow along with instructions below to learn how you can go about enabling the Packback integration in Moodle.
Step-by-Step Instructions for How to Add Packback to Moodle
- To enable Packback in your course on Moodle, click Create Learning Activity at the bottom of the home page.
- Select External Tools on the All Activities tab.
- Name the activity.
- In the Pre-Configured Tool dropdown menu, select Packback and then click Save.
From there, you're ready to connect your Learning Management System course to Packback.
Connecting Your Learning Management System Course to Packback
From here, you'll now be able to connect your LMS to a Packback community. If you haven’t added Packback as a tool in your Learning Management System quite yet, you’ll need to do that first in order to complete the connection process.
Already have a Packback community created?
If you’ve already created a Packback community and are just looking to connect your Learning Management System to it, you’ll first need to click on the Packback link that has been added to your Learning Management System.
From there, you’ll be shown a list of Packback communities associated with your account. Click Connect next to the one you’d like to connect your Learning Management System course to. To complete the Learning Management System setup process, simply verify that the connection information is correct and Confirm Connection.
Still need to create a Packback community to connect to?
If you haven’t created a Packback community quite yet, you’re able to do so right from your Learning Management System!
Click on the Packback link that’s been added to your Learning Management System, first. This will initiate the Learning Management System Setup Wizard. On this page, click Create a New Community and fill out the community details. Make sure to double check the information and finally select Save and Continue at the bottom of the page.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully created a new community and connected it to your Learning Management System!
Already created a Packback community but don’t see it?
If you’ve already created a Packback community but don’t see it when you click the Packback link in your Learning Management System, it’s possible you created the community under a different email address than is logged into your Learning Management System.
In this case, please reach out to our Support team for assistance. You can contact us via email at email@example.com. We’ll be happy to help!
Turning On Gradebook Sync
If you are hoping to have Packback sync to the gradebook built within Moodle for LTI 1.1, here are the step-by-step instructions for how to accomplish that!
- Click on "Gradebook Sync" in Packback underneath Professor Tools
- Confirm your deadlines and posting requirements
- Turn on Gradebook Sync
Gradebook Sync is now active and you can proceed to create your assignments!
Step-By-Step Instructions for Setting Up Gradebook Sync
- Go to the course in Moodle and click on Turn editing on
- Click on Add an activity or resource within the module where you want to add this Packback assignment
- Select External tool from the menu
- Give the assignment a name, for example “Packback Week 1.” From the “Preconfigured Tool” dropdown menu, select Packback.
- Click the Grade link, and select Point for the grade type, and enter in the number of points this assignment is worth. If you don’t see the “Grade” area, please contact your LMS administrator.
- Click Save and display
- After you click Save, Moodle will automatically open the newly-created Packback assignment within Moodle and activate it for your Packback community. Click Please choose deadline… and select the Packback assignment you wish to connect to your Moodle assignment. Packback will send grades from the select Packback assignment to the corresponding Moodle grade column.
- Repeat this process for all other Packback assignments you will have in this class. If you have 10 Packback graded assignments, you will need to do these steps 10 times. You can create all your Moodle assignments now, or you can create them one-by-one and do these steps as the semester progresses.
Important Note: Students will need to click on each specific assignment link within Moodle to receive a grade from Packback.
If you are running into issues with the above instructions or just have a question, please reach out to our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.